*UPDATED 8/21/19: Please note that the dates below have changed. We will still be offering six sessions, but they will take place beginning September 19.
*UPDATED 9/9/19: Please note that we have added additional sessions on Wednesday mornings.
In preparation for author and psychologist Lisa Damour's visit to Westridge in December, we are excited to offer parents a facilitated, small-group book discussion series on Under Pressure: Confronting the Epidemic of Stress and Anxiety in Girls by Dr. Damour. Facilitated by Director of Counseling Lisa Carruthers, Psy.D. and Westridge Research Initiative Coordinator Jim Holland, Ed.D., this new parent education course will devote an hour-long discussion to each of the six chapters of the book. Sessions run September 19 through November 14.
The goals of these discussions are to:
- create an opportunity for parents to learn about important issues based on current research,
- share their experiences in an atmosphere of trust and support,
- engage with one another to contribute to a shared understanding,
- and strengthen the partnership between parents and the school in fostering healthy attitudes that support students through the transitions of adolescence and the pressures that they face at a school like Westridge.
This program is co-sponsored by the Westridge Parent Association (WPA).
Session Dates & Times:
Morning (8-9 am) and evening (7-8 pm) sessions* will be held in Pitcairn Living Room on the following Thursdays:
- September 19
- September 26
- October 3
- October 17
- November 7
- November 14
*Participants register for either the morning or evening group for the entire series.
Due to popular demand, we have added morning (8-9 am) sessions in Pitcairn Living Room on the following Wednesdays:
- Wednesday, September 18, 8-9 am
- Wednesday, September 25, 8-9 am
- Wednesday, October 2, 8-9 am
- Wednesday, October 16, 8-9 am
- Wednesday, November 6, 8-9 am
- Wednesday, November 13, 8-9 am
Requirements & Registration:
To create a coherent and consistent experience for all participants, we ask that participants commit to attending the full series of morning or evening discussions (understanding that occasional absences may occur). Participants must also read the Under Pressure chapters assigned to each date in advance.
Please note: each session will be limited to 15 participants. Should registration requests exceed that limit, spots will be assigned via a lottery system. This small-group format is a test for the school. Though we have many requests for parent education programs, our larger evening events do not attract significant attendance. We hope this new format may better meet the needs of our families while creating spaces more conducive to in-depth discussion.
Online registration opens on Tuesday, August 27 at 8 am.
A registration email and link will be sent at that time.
If you have any questions about the discussion series or registration, please contact Anahit Turgman at email@example.com.
Thursday, September 19
Thursday, September 26
Thursday, October 3
Thursday, October 17
Thursday, November 7
Thursday, November 14